This Dal Makhani is delicious, quick and easy to make. Made with mung beans, you can cook it on a whim, since no soaking is required. You can serve it either with basmati rice or naan bread, which goes wonderfully with its savory sauce.
This recipe is:
- Ready in less than 40 minutes.
- Tasty and easy to make.
- High proteins.
Alternatives for this recipe
You can replace the non-dairy yogurt by vegetable milk or coconut cream.
You can add vegetables like spinach and mushroom.
Dal makhaniCourse: Main dishes
This dal makhani is a delicious dish, quick and easy to make. Made with mung beans, you can cook it on a whim, since no soaking is required. You could serve this dish either with basmati rice or naan bread, which goes wonderfully with its savory sauce.
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 onion chopped
5 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
4 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
2 tsp (10 ml) fennel grains or fenugreek
Half jalapeños minced (optional)
5 cups (1,25 L) water
1 cup (190 g) dried mung beans (rinced off)
1/2 cup (125 ml) tomato paste
2/3 cup (83 ml) non-dairy plain yogurt or coconut milk
Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the water, mung beans, salt and pepper. Let it simmer without the lid on and stir frequently for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the mung beans are tender. Add the tomato paste and the non-dairy yogurt, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.
- Could be frozen
- You could keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @simplementfrais on Instagram or DM your pictures so we can see your creation!